Friday, December 14, 2007

The Unveiling

"and the word became flesh and dwelt among us."

It never fails. Each Advent I get stuck on this verse more than any other passage of Scripture that I reflect on. Why would the Creator of the Universe want to identify with humanity on such a level? I haven't the foggiest idea. It reminds me of my theology and Christology classes at Fuller, when we would get to the concept and thoughts on kenosis - God/Jesus emptying himself as he became man. The more I would read or reflect on the words, the more I find myself asking what I am sure is the million dollar question - Why?"

I wonder what it was like for Mary and Joseph, to watch their child begin to grasp the reality of who he was. When was that point when Jesus understood that he was "different" than others? When his destiny would never equal those of his peers, his family? How does one parent the Son of God? Amazing seems to be the emotion that I am experiencing this Advent season. Amazed at what God did by interrupting space and time to manifest as a child. Amazed at individuals such as Zachariah, Joseph, Mary and Elizabeth as they realized that God was stretching them beyond their wildest ideas and beliefs - forcing them to see and experience God on a level that others could never imagine. Amazed that in the midst of merchandising, Christmas specials, secularization and whatnot, the manger is still the focus of what this season is all about.

May your advent be one of amazement also.

No comments: