Friday, January 05, 2007

Plastic Dashboard Jesus and the Communities that Love Them

What can I say about today? I had on my Master Calendar list for January (prepared way before I was leaving or announced my decision to leave) that it was time to work on the closets upstairs - so between myself and my friend we got two closets cleaned out and sorted with everything labeled for easy access. It will be a lot nicer than what was left for me when I arrived at work 17 months ago...I'm glad because nothing is worse than not knowing what has been done, where things are or who to go to for an answer on a question.

I've been asked to contact people individually to listen to them after receiving the email. Most have nothing to say, or are curious as to what in store for me. The hardest one to hear this afternoon was from someone who basically said that no one would ever tell me what they really felt but there will be a sigh of relief that I am departing because "I was the worst thing that ever happened to this church." When I asked if they could elaborate (yes, I am a glutton for punishment) they shared that they felt that there was too much of a push for parents to be taking responsibility for the spiritual raising of their children. That if they wanted their children to be raised to be a part of the world they would not be Christians because Christians are to "not be of this world." I was diametrically teaching what they didn't want their kids to hear and they were having to "unteach" them every weekend after they went to classes.

God bless that individual. I am sure they do not represent all members of the congregation, nor the families of the kids who attend weekly. If they do - I'm sorry and I hold firm to the belief that so many of us are ghettoized in the proverbial "Christian world" exclusively that we are oblivious to how those who aren't Christians view us. I want so much more for our kids - they are soaking up a culture and a world which feels that Christianity is more of a nusance rather than an important part of one's core beliefs. There is a pantheon of spiritual beliefs from which to choose and as long as it's good for you and doesn't hurt others do it. We long for community yet isolate ourselves creating a form of community which meets needs but not the truest need of being known and vulnerable to another individual. It just seems we need to be available to the world at large rather than safely tucked away in our plastic universe.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, what a painful experience! You are so courageous to write about it here! I don't know a whole lot about your story, but let me just say that my experience shows that it's the people with agendas and axes to grind that are most likely to speak up. I pray that you will be encouraged by some in your congregation who appreciated your ministry. There is nothing worse than pouring passion into something that ends up being poorly received. May God use your time at the church for His glory. It sounds like you did wonderful things there! Take care- and be encouraged that there are people in the blog world rooting for you!

margieh said...

The Lord grant you wisdom and grace, Jenn.