Sunday, March 25, 2007

The Latest

It's been an interesting couple of weeks. The long term "hiatus" is growing weary on me - I am looking forward to getting back into ministry believe it or not and have been finding myself thinking about how I could leverage my experience with children into a ministry that might be more adult minded. Or looking at the possibility of finding some other way to be involved in ministry while still focusing more on finishing up this M.Div.

The news came back recently about San Jose - at the moment it is a pass. I was not surprised as it seemed that there was always this "but" dangling at the end of the conversations. It was hard to hear those words, I really felt that there could have been a good connection there as well as a match in the vision and goal of the ministry. The community had lost two key individuals this past year and are being so cautious not to repeat this departure scenario again that they are being extremely meticulous and deliberate in calling someone to the position.

Two and a half weeks ago I began conversations with a church in San Ramon which seems to be more in line with what I am looking for. Strangely enough it is not an "emergent" church yet has a heart to meet the needs in an emergent manner. The church already has two female associates so the ability or ease of working with women in leadership has already been laid out; there is an active outreach into the community by every ministry including children; and there is a focus on grace, rather than legalism. I've been invited to come down this coming weekend for a second interview. The conversations which I had this past weekend were positive and left me feeling as though I could fit in within this body. There are positive movements and comments on both sides so it will be exciting to see what the weekend holds in store.

In the meantime, it's been a challenge to find a temp job here - it appears that I am "over qualified" to do the executive assistance jobs I've done in the past - or they squirm when they see a resume that demonstrates administrative ability but the last three jobs in churches. I can see where that would be a challenge to some but sheesh wade. I remember at PwC where I used to work they purposely recruited at BYU for associates because of the students high level of ethics. I've signed on at Starbucks in the meantime for medical insurance after 20 hours of work a week. That and the fact that the people that I am working with are very fun to be with. For the meantime until a job comes it will be enough to cover rent and the car payment, very little other however.

I had to change classes at Fuller the ones that I wanted were booked. So I am taking Dr. Karkkainen's theology online which starts tomorrow. I've already had a chapter read in the book and waiting to get the other books from the bookstore mailed to me.

I've also settled on a church while I am here in the area. It's called 2nd Street Community Church and is a 180 degree turn from where I previously attended. The pastor is going through Haggai currently and it has been like water on parched ground. I can slowly feel God beginning to heal the wounds incurred at this past ministry experience - it is slow but I know that I will be stronger for it.

No comments: